There will be no racing at Ascot today due to the snow
Published 19th December 2009 - 4 comments - 924 views -
In a dramatic end to a somewhat surreal global warming conference, US President Barack Obama left Copenhagen "in order to return to Washington before a major snowstorm hits." It might be only the 12th white Christmas for Washington in American weather-recording history.
Meanwhile, the worst cold snap to grip Europe in a decade has killed at least 30 people and left hundreds of thousands without power and heat. From Portugal to Poland, European nations have seen unprecedented snowfalls and record low temperatures in the past week. Homeless people have frozen to death in France and across Eastern Europe. An avalanche at a ski resort near Erzurum, Turkey, buried eight teenagers, killing six of them. Four trains have broken down in the Channel Tunnel due to cold weather, as snow is expected to cause further disruption in parts of Britain. Friday evening's Heineken Cup rugby union clash between Newport Gwent Dragons and Biarritz was called off due to a partially-frozen pitch. And, for the second day in a row, there will be no racing at Ascot today due to the snow.
About the author
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom