The human cost of 3°C
Published 17th December 2009 - 1 comments - 822 views -
Leaked documents emerged today from the United Nations that suggest current proposals for a climate deal would result in a three degree increase in the planet’s temperature – very worrying!
At this stage in the game, a deal that fails to keep temperature rises below two degrees is simply not good enough. If global temperatures rise to 3°C, up to 600 million more people will face the risk of hunger and up to four billion people could face water shortages globally, according to Oxfam International.
The higher the temperature, the more devastating and costly the impact.
Rich countries need to raise their game on emissions cuts and financing. The costs of them not doing so are simply too great to bear.
About the author
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom