Romania. CO2 Emissions vs CO2 Certificates
Published 05th November 2009 - 2 comments - 2329 views -
Based on the quantities of CO2 emitted between 1990 and 2005, Romania is placed on the 24th position in Top 185.
The analysis, carried out by the World Resources Institute (WRI), a nonprofit environmental organization in the U.S., contradicts the arguments of the some European states that refuse to fund poor countries. Poland, for example, known as one of the loudest voice of the opposition is on the 11th position from 185 countries, with 21,000 tonnes of CO2 emitted between 1990 and 2005.
From the Eastern European area, only the Czech Republic (I know it's in Central Europe, but it's also considered Eastern European country, too) is situated above Romania, on the 18th position with 9,500 tonnes of CO2 emissions. Hungary, Bulgaria and Slovakia, although in top 50, are placed on lower positions at 34, 40 and 41 respectively.
After closing the large industrial companies, the level of emissions of many Eastern European states has fallen steadily since 1990. However, carbon dioxide does not dissolve naturally in the air. For this reason, all emissions issued before 1989 are still hanging there in the atmosphere.
In case you wonder, United States is leading the way with over 300,000 tonnes of CO2 emitted between 1990 and 2005, followed by China with 92,900 tonnes and Russia with 89,800 tonnes.
Interesting enough though, through the emission trading mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol for the period 2008 - 2012, Romania has the right to sell certificates equivalent to 150 million tonnes of carbon dioxide from the 250 million tonnes allocated to our country as a result of making the commitment to reduce emissions by 8% by 2012 compared to 1989.
Not bad for a country listed quite at the top of the polluter's list.
*photo source: Green Report
About the author
- Let The Wind Blow!
- Formula Green – how F1 can fight global warming
- When nobody wants radioactive waste, Romania’s ready to commit
- Energy Efficiency in Buildings. Breaking the ‘Circle of Blame’ in Romania.
- The Hanging Garden of Anghel Zeicu
- Nokia Jucu Factory - One of the World’s Leading Green Buildings
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Eco Handmade
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom