Lessons of the Climategate
Published 29th November 2009 - 16 comments - 985 views -
I know what you are thinking. You are either with the sceptics and are very happy that Phil Jones is an asshole or you are with the believers and think that a couple of lousy scientists do not make a difference, that the idea is bigger than a man.
What you are all neglecting to see is that, once again, the media is the main propellant of the conflict, the match in a can of gasoline fumes. The media that brought the conflict to the attention of the public, without any context or introduction. E-mails got hacked, we have some juicy bits, now salivate! And forget the fact that you are ignorant and completely oblivious of the whole picture and have no idea what exactly these e-mails mean.
Of course, once the shit hit the fan, everybody`s jumping. The sceptics are happy because now they got the ammo and even better - the ammo came from the camp of the enemies. The journalists are ecstatic - just before the meeting a whole new subject opened up with loads of potential to exploit and server to the dumb and the restless. The believers are gearing up with explanations. The circus is back in town!
There is no easy way out of this. Out of our media society, since the human got used to the idea of using the mass media to affirmate his/hers own beliefs. You always read what you already believe and not the other way around. The humans need a sense of affirmation by a higher power - sometimes it`s religion, but most of the time it`s the media. Show of hands - how many of you actually saw the downloaded emails? OK. How many of you actually saw the whole email message, not just the quotes? OK. And how many of you got a strong opinion on the matter? Whoa. The whole room just got up.
You know what else matches that way of thinking? Religion. You don`t actually know anything. You did not actually have any first hand experience with the matter. Yet you choose to believe. And you expect the people involved to be either saints of devils. There`s no middle ground. There`s no room for mistakes. There`s no room for being human. And all you can say in the end is amen.
About the author
- I’m Sorry. We Could Have Stopped Catastrophic Climate Change. We Didn’t
- Monster trucks to the rescue
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- Adopt the Climate Flag!
- The Tragedy of Climategate
- Angry Mermaid Award Seeks to Expose Greenwash
- Copenhagen Climate Change Summit and sustainable living
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2