“Danish Text” a preview on unfair climate deal?
Published 09th December 2009 - 15 comments - 1655 views -
There is news about a climate deal in Copenhagen. But they are not very good. A document was leaked which is currently referred to as the "Danish Text". It contains the draft for a deal - a quite unfair one. if we believe the sources, it would mean that we will abandon the Kyoto protocol. Worse: The deal fails to consider the so called carbon dept, developed nations owe to the developing countries. In contrary: Industrialized nations will be allowed to emit an even greater amount of CO² per person than developing ones - almost the double! In short this would mean that rich countries push the poorer ones into signing their own dead. This goes especially for Africa. However South Africa appears to be involved in the development of the Danish Text.
The news have caused great distress within delegations of Africa. In a closed conference Lumumba Di-Amping, a major African negotiator, burst into tears. According to some tweeds it got very emotional. "It is unfortunate that after more than 500 years of interaction with the west, we are still considered disposables." Just to name one of a variety of quotes, that represent his feelings about the Danish Text.
The news disturbed the calm and motivated atmosphere at the COP15. Even before I knew of any leaked documents the distress of the Africans was apparent. After the fossil awards ceremony, when we were actually set to leave, noise from the hallway caught our attention. My flip always in my side pocked I took some footage of what happened there.
This, though amazing and intense, is only a taste of what is to come. Our leaders will have to deal with a lot of resistance, from Africa and other countries civil society!
Almost at the exit of the conference I was lucky enough to meet one of the people who had been fighting for their rights. Winnie Asiti is here in Copenhagen as part of the 350 delegation. Listening to her was amazing! I recommend you to do the same.
Despite all the disappointment one thing should be clear. This story does not end here. We won't let it!
About the author
- I’m Sorry. We Could Have Stopped Catastrophic Climate Change. We Didn’t
- Monster trucks to the rescue
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- COP15 Failure: The Alternative. Chapter II.
- Its over before it starts?
- COP15, bigger than life
- Adopt the Climate Flag!
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2