I’ve never seen a snow on the 14th October
Published 14th October 2009 - 11 comments - 1439 views -
What a day. +1° C, Snow was pelting down my face, wind was trying to hike me up until it smashed my umbrella, ground beneath the feet was shaky and slick. A trolley stuck in a traffic jam and I was late for the university lecture. The day ended as bad as it started: I came home with my sneakers all wet, throat soring and body tired of struggling with the wind. The snow stopped, but outside the window is still fussy and the temperature is close to 0° C.
This is not how the weather supposed to be in Lithuania during the middle of October. Usually September and October presents us with days or even weeks, when one can throw on his/her jacket and go outside to watch the leaves turning yellow, to drink tea and say to the friends: "Yes, that is why I love this season". But not this year: autumn has lost it's romance due to coldness and often rainfalls. There were no intermediate period between summer and fall-at-it's-worst. The first snow today was a last stroke which put me in a state of a shock, when I wanted to do nothing but to shout: "Give me my autumn!"
If it looks like this disappointment is based only on emotions, here are some facts about today's situation in Vilnius, capital of Lithuania (source - Lrytas.lt):
- 10 000 people were left with no electricity this morning.
- Wind reached 22 m/sec speed.
- There were terrible car accident this morning (that's why I stuck in the traffic jam) due to slick ice. 25 year old man had passed away, two people had been injured.
- During the night between 13th-14th October firemans had to move at least 7 trees from the roads.
And this is not something that only our country faces: from Poland to USA, from Germany to China (in Poland now 700 000 people are without electricity, Warsaw airport is not working). It's like one big international nightmare.
It will end tomorrow, maybe the day after tomorrow. But the point is: seems to be that at first time in my life I fight with snow in the middle of October. However, my memory is not the most reliable source, but still - something is wrong here.
Vilnius today, 14th October, 2009
Same Vilnius, same day, only a year ago. With fallen leafs and no rain. A kind of "That's why I love autumn" view.
If I needed to write all this entry in three words they would be "Climate is changing". And that doesn't mean any good.
About the author
- I’m Sorry. We Could Have Stopped Catastrophic Climate Change. We Didn’t
- Monster trucks to the rescue
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- Adopt the Climate Flag!
- Angry Mermaid Award Seeks to Expose Greenwash
- Copenhagen Climate Change Summit and sustainable living
- The Alphabet of Climate Change
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom