Environmentalists are like watermelons…
Published 17th November 2009 - 48 comments - 1595 views -
"Environmentalists are like watermelons, green on the outside, red on the inside". Ooopla! Cue deep belly laughing.
Ha. Ha. Ha.
You'll excuse me if I don't laugh.
Fact is, the constant inference that anyone who believes in sustainability, saving the environment, tackling climate change etc. etc. is a "god darn commie" is really, really (really) irritating me.
Go to any website hosted by sceptics, read any blog, listen to any podcasts, or watch any youtube videos and invariably you will hear some sort of comparison between envirionmentalism and communism.
It is a weak attempt to invoke fear in onlookers to the debate. No need to present any evidence to refute what is being said - just point and yell "commie" and everyone will cower in fear.
I just took a look at a recent video which warns that COP15 is going "to impose a communist world government on the world" and some of the responses from watchers is incredible. Here's a taste... (excuse the language)
"What the FUCK!!! Wow this is just fucking stupid, this is fucking worthless and stupid, i love my freedom, is this dude not liking obama or what?? Im sorry but i think god has more power than Obama, i mean i voted for Obama, but what the fuck!! Our founbding fathers were here omg they will be fucking PISSED..just like how i am!!" (sic).
"it all sounds good on paper..but even if our troops agree to uphold such ( shit ) which our kids won`t.you still have a U.S. militia 8 million strong...and if anyone is going to get blamed for some ( shit) like this..it going to be the corporations.now we are talking about over 2 or 3 billion angry ass people.Obama is our president and he can win a second term or he can be impeached.but America has taken all the bullshit with this 911 crap and its aftermath. it won`t happen not without a fight," (sic)
These folks are angry - and wouldn't you be if you thought that you were about to have your constitution ripped up and you would have to submit to a communist regime run by the greens. I might think about calling up the militia as well (if we had one).
The thing is, how many of these same people know anything about what is going on in Copenhagen, about any of the debate, the science or the potential risks. I'm guessing very few.
It reminds me of McCarthyism. If you want to turn people against a cause, compare them to Communists or Terrorists. Job done.
About the author
- Possibility of climate change by pre-modern farmers?
- Monster trucks to the rescue
- India changes stance to push for a global deal at Copenhagen
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- Black Point of the Danube Basin
- Climate Change, Energy and Environment in the Lisbon Treaty
- A Message from Romanian Cyclists for Leaders in Copenhagen
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom