COP15: Activists rock the Bella Centre
Published 07th December 2009 - 3 comments - 1379 views -
It’s on now! The COP15 has started and this morning the Peace Child delegation was eager to get in. After waking up way too early with a busy night behind us (to get sleep within the time of the conference seems to be luxury that is just not available) we all together set foot into the Bella Centre. On the way there we could already hear it: drums and singing voices – activists demanding Climate Justice in front of the COP venue. Walking through this crowd of energetic people made me think of Hemants post. The real revolution is taking place outside the Bella Centre; on Copenhagen’s streets and on those of the rest of the world.
Activism inside the COP
Still, the badge that is hanging around my neck allows me to enter the COP15. So my path led me past the activists and directly into the conference. Anyone who thinks that the actions for climate justice stop there, at this line you cannot pass without an accreditation, is wrong. It just continues in right behind it. My first impression was that I stumbled into a forest of banners, slogans, graphs and stands, all promoting the message that was advocated with some noise outside: Copenhagen is the deadline. We want a fair and ambitious deal NOW!
Global Warming vs. Binding Agreement. Choose now!
Everyone entering the Bella Centre this morning was tangibly confronted with these options. A port with two doors was standing in the middle of the way. A green one, labelled “Vote Earth” and a red one with “Global Warming” written on it. A powerful message! But unfortunately not one that the parties would answer. A big crowd of them was standing in front of the port looking at it as if it would spit fire as soon as they approached it. In the end the just walked past, choosing neither of the options. A sad image, sure. But fortunately not one the youth of the world would accept.
As promised in my prior post, youth plays a bigger role now in the talks. And today, at the beginning of the conference we proved that to be true. We gathered in the main hall and put together a little surprise. But as us thinkers were empowered with flip cameras you will be able to see it for yourself!
About the author
- I’m Sorry. We Could Have Stopped Catastrophic Climate Change. We Didn’t
- Monster trucks to the rescue
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- COP15 Failure: The Alternative. Chapter II.
- Its over before it starts?
- There will not be a climate change agreement COP15 but at least it won’t be a greenwash
- COP15, bigger than life
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom