Climate Change Violates Human Rights
Published 30th October 2010 - 4 comments - 1409 views -
Here goes a discussion we do not usually have when talking about Climate Change and its consequences: the fact of it threats the Human Rights. Well, the most unaware might say: “I don’t get it. What do you mean?”. To say it in a nutshell, we need adequate conditions of life in an environment of quality that permits a life of dignity and well-being, it means conservation, protection and the recovery from degraded areas.
Besides, the right to liberty, security of person, freedom of opinion and expression and many others are at risk. We will not have other rights guaranteed if we do not have environmental rights taken into account as well. Let’s see some examples.
- With the rising of the oceans, entire islands will disappear; people will lose their home and will become the so-called climate refugees, which means the insertion of entire communities in a different culture. Lot of problems might happen with this worldwide increasing of migration: health care, security, education, unemployment, just to say a few. In fact, the EU has already alerted the countries to prepare for the substantial ever-increasing of migration pressure. It is an urgent problem that has already begun. The Carteret Islands in Papua New Guine face one of the worst examples. After their failure in building a seawall to protect the island from the sea-level rise, the inhabitants are being removed. It is estimated the total submersion by 2015 (watch the video above).
- The construction of the Belo Monte dam in the Amazon, Brazil, will cause both droughts and floods, affecting the life of thousands indigenous people, quilombolas (traditional black communities), etc. Those people have always depended on the land to live, to fish, to hunt, to plant… to survive. And now, they will have to move to cities - causing all those problems I said above.
It is expected that 200 to 250 millions of people will be forced to leave their home due to climate changes by midcentury. It is too much. Besides the fact it already happened in the past, it is not normal! Say whatever you want, but the human animal is destroying the habitat of the whole life on Earth. We need stop now. And it starts with you!
About the author
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2