Cabinet Meetings: Under Water and on top of Mountains
Published 02nd November 2009 - 4 comments - 1185 views -
Last month the Maldives Government held a Cabinet meeting under waterto highlight the threat of global warming to the island nation. This month Nepal's Government will hold a Cabinet meeting at the Mount Everest base-camp to highlight the threat to glaciers. While both of these events are being reported around the world, will they do anything in the lead up to the talks in Copenhagen?
While both events can be used to place moral pressure on other states to do something at the COP15 summit, I don't very much if it will be a clincher to a deal. These events have great media potential and both Governments have created a brilliant media event around these meetings and have gotten headlines. But whats the point if they don't produce a deal in December?
The Maldives will still be at risk of flooding and Nepal's glaciers will still be in danger of melting even faster.
There is a lot of razzmatazz and drama being built up around the COP15 conference, for the benefit of the World's media. Some of it is by poor countries, and more of it is by NGO's in various countries. While in some cases this media around the conference us good as it raises the awareness around the conference and things we can do to lessen our impact on the environment. Will it have any effect on the Governments that represent us?
Will Merkel, Obama, Brown and Cowen become converted to the cause of what is actually needed due to the actions of the Maldives and Nepal Governments? I frankly don't think so.
Something more needs to be done to convince them of the right path. But I fear it will take an environmental catastrophe for them to be convinced. I fear it will be too late then.
About the author
- Possibility of climate change by pre-modern farmers?
- I’m Sorry. We Could Have Stopped Catastrophic Climate Change. We Didn’t
- India changes stance to push for a global deal at Copenhagen
- My Conceptual Framework on Climate Change
- COP15 Failure: The Alternative. Chapter II.
- The South Pole is melting too
- Its over before it starts?
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom