... and now it even killed Lucky the sheep!
Published 27th November 2009 - 2 comments - 814 views -
Journalistic work has quite some rules and traditions, like “When a dog bites a man, that is not news. But when a man bites a dog, that is news.” If we stick to an example of a dog biting a man, there is one more rule about what is newsworthy – it is not any dog biting any man; however, if an owner of the dog or the bitten man himself (or herself) is famous…
To get to the point: there have been heatwaves in Australia recently. (Soon I will show you how it is related to the first paragraph…) Did you know that? In Slovakia, I doubt many people did – I myself found out just a few days ago accidentally, as high temperatures in Australia don’t seem to be newsworthy for Slovak journalists. So how did I find out about it? Only because these heatwaves (probably caused be global warming, man-made or not – I will remain neutral about this…) killed Lucky, the world’s oldest sheep.
Lucky, who had made it into the Guinness Book of World Records, died on November 23, 2009, aged 23 years, 6 months and 28 days (twice the average life expectancy), on her farm in southern Australia. As her owner said, she succumbed to a heatwave, even though she had been provided her own air conditioners. She was buried under her favourite nectarine tree.
If Michael Jackson had died of heart failure caused by overheating due to record heatwave (or infection caused by drinking polluted water, drowning in a flood caused by global warming, poisoning caused by breathing toxic fumes from nearby illegal rubbish dump etc.), some people might start paying more attention to our environment. Can a death of Lucky change anything?
About the author
- The South Pole is melting too
- Black Point of the Danube Basin
- A Message from Romanian Cyclists for Leaders in Copenhagen
- News: Australia quits cap-n-trade due to Climategate
- Global Warming Will Affect Us All. Happy New Year!
- Climate dancing in Belgian-Bollywood style and positive green energy
- Bicycling Against Global Warming
- TCKTCK: Got only 10 years to save ourselves!
- Denmark cries in Sea of Blood, 950 Whales and Dolphins KILLED…
- Micro pigs - the ultimate sweetheart energy saver
- If you want to see nude people click here
- Do we really care about our planet? Think twice before answering.
- Evolutions in the history of Environment Part 2
- Bunnies for fuels: not a good story to share in a grade school classroom