It Has Finally Started: COP16 in Cancun
Published 30th November 2010 - 5 comments - 3186 views -
One year after the COP15 climate conference in Copenhagen, activists, scientists, journalists, climate experts and environment ministers are all gathering in Cancun, Mexico for COP16. The event started yesterday and will last for twelve days, unless there is an earlier accord.
In amongst the crowd will be the 16 winning bloggers from the TH!NK4 competition, who will be joining the meeting on the 5th of Demember. We are looking forward to their contributions from Mexico, which you will be able to read here.
COP16 was officially opened by the President of host country Mexico, Felipe Calderón:
A lot has been said about this year’s meeting and the general consensus is that not too much should be expected agreement-wise. Instead the Cancun gathering is being tipped as an important stepping stone towards the COP17 gathering in Johannesburg in 2011 and the COP18 in Rio de Janeiro in 2012. Since the Kyoto Protocol of 1997 expires in December 2012, these last two COP meetings have to pave the way for a new protocol that sets clear standards for the worldwide reduction of CO2 emissions in the future.
One issue that will be important during this year’s meeting is how developing nations can be assisted financially to help them combat and reduce their CO2 emissions. Not an easy task, seeing as developing nations are more than skeptical about the way Danish representatives drew up a draft final accord last year without any consultation. This erosion of trust will have to be dealt with first, before we can expect any encouraging outcomes.
Along with the regular updates from the TH!NK blogging crew, plenty of news on the summit will be available online. Check out in particular some of the livestreams, such as UNFCC and this one from OneClimateChannel in cooperation with the climate change activist platform TCKTCKTCK.
Make sure you stay updated on many issues that will be discussed, and feedback your thoughts on what is being discussed in a new blogpost or on our community.
On Twitter: @thinkteam and use #thinkcc for our Twitterstream.
Editor in Chief
- Introducing the New Reporters of the TH!NK Revamped Project!
- RIO+20 must build a new economic order
- New TH!NK Project Seeks Multimedia Reporters
- The Winners of the CL!CK ABOUT IT Worldwide Photography Competition Have Been Chosen!
- The Winner of the Drawing for the TH!NK ABOUT IT Survey is Announced…and More!
- CL!CK3 Worldwide Photography Competition Launches!
- Welcome to the Evolution of TH!NK ABOUT IT!
- Bem-vindo a Portugal! A Sneak Peak into the Recent TH!NK5:Water Reporting Trip to Portugal
- TH!NK4 Winners Announced - and Other Exciting TH!NK News!
- It Has Finally Started: COP16 in Cancun
- A Message from TH!NK Jury
- The Double H2O Face of Climate Change
- Cancun Trip Winners Announced
- TH!NK4 Competition NEWS!
- Covering Climate Change from a Local Perspective
- TH!NK4: Climate Change